Thursday, January 3, 2008

24 Week Appointment and Gestational Diabetes

Today was our 24 week appointment with Dr. Williams. I had to do the 1 hour Gestational Diabetes test. They have you drink a glass of a syrupy liquid that tastes like Kool-aid with about 3 times the sugar and then you have to wait an hour and have your finger pricked to test your blood sugar to rule out Gestational Diabetes. As soon as I saw the blood sugar result on the machine I knew it was bad news ... it was 164. So now I'm going to have to do the next step in the process which I'm already dreading; I will have to do the 3 hour test sometime this week. If the results of that test come back abnormal as well I will officially be a "gestational diabetic" and will have a carb controlled diet and possibly oral medications to control my blood sugar. If its still not under control with those measures I may even have to be put on insulin. I really hope and doubt that it will get to that point though. On the other hand everything else was great. I've only gained 1 pound from my last visit 4 weeks ago, which makes 12 pounds total. My B/P was great and the baby's heartbeat sounded great, so I'm excited about all that. We were also able to schedule our 4D ultrasound today, it will be done at my next visit on January 30th. I've been looking forward to it for a long time, its amazing how much detail you can see compared to the normal ultrasound images. I just hope that the tech takes her time and does a good job, she tends to always make me feel like she's rushing or has somewhere else to be. Tim said that if I'm not satisfied with it he'll pay for me to go to a private ultrasound and have it redone.

No comments: